Working collaboratively with the livestock industry
The Safeguarding our Animals, Safeguarding our Reputation Programme has a vision of 'everyone taking responsibility for the welfare of animals'. To achieve this, we work with organisations across the supply chain to ensure people working with livestock know their responsibilities.
The forum is an operational group combining Ministry for Primary Industries' (MPI) staff and industry professionals. We work together to improve animal welfare across the production supply chain – from on-farm to transportation, sale yards to processors.
The purpose of the forum is to:
- improve livestock welfare
- strengthen relationships between core livestock production industry groups and MPI
- consider how to improve livestock welfare strategically, based on:
- public concerns
- international trends
- the expertise of forum members
- risks to the primary sector's reputation as a whole.
What the forum does
The forum supports MPI's Safeguarding our Animals, Safeguarding our Reputation Programme by:
- identifying risks, issues, and suitable solutions
- working together on opportunities where possible
- sharing information on industry initiatives
- acting as a reference point to check how feasible, accepted, or available the alternatives for initiatives and priorities are
- providing a coordination point for initiatives
- monitoring the progress of MPI and industry initiatives
- promoting positive change by identifying and removing obstacles in the system.
Membership includes representatives from many groups, including:
- Beef + Lamb NZ
- Dairy Companies Association of NZ
- Deer Industry New Zealand
- Egg Producers Federation New Zealand
- Poultry Industry Association of New Zealand
- Federated Farmers
- Meat Industry Association
- NZ Petfood Manufacturers Association
- New Zealand Pork
- NZ Stock and Station Agents Association
- NZ Veterinary Association
- Road Transport Forum
- Ministry for Primary Industries.