Steps to exporting vertebrate toxic agents

Exporters of vertebrate toxic agents (VTAs) must meet the requirements of their destination country. We've created a step-by-step process so you can see what's involved.

Expand All
What you need to know

An overview of exporting vertebrate toxic agents from start to finish.

Vertebrate toxic agents (VTAs) are used to control or eradicate animal species, like possums, rabbits, and rodents. They do not include non-toxic substances used to repel or attract animals. VTAs have safety regulations around their manufacture, handling, storage, and distribution.

To export VTAs successfully you need to know about:

  • the regulation requirements of the destination country
  • the ingredients in your product
  • the manufacturing, packaging or repackaging, and labelling requirements of the destination country
  • how to get your product registered, if required
  • keeping adequate records
  • certificates of compliance, if required
  • certificates of free sale, if required
  • the relevant fees and charges.

You may have to meet other requirements as well. These requirements might be commercial , or set by other government agencies like the New Zealand Customs Service.

Manufacturing VTAs for export?

If you're manufacturing VTAs for export, you also need to:

  • meet trade agreements if exporting to Australia, Canada, the European Union, or Switzerland
  • meet the manufacturing requirements of the destination country
  • meet relevant requirements of other government agencies, like the Environmental Protection Authority
  • keep export products separate from products being manufactured for sale in New Zealand.
What you need to do

The tasks you need to complete.

Check the regulatory requirements of your destination country

Destination countries have their own regulations for imported vertebrate toxic agents. You can find out the regulatory requirements either from your import agent, or by contacting MPI's equivalent regulatory authority in your destination country. You may be asked to supply a list of ingredients.

The requirements may state that you need 'official assurance' (for example, a certificate or documentation) from MPI, confirming that your product complies with requirements for the safe manufacture, product testing, or labelling of VTA products.

If you have questions about the official assurance requirements, email

Get certification for your product, if required

If your destination country requires you to have official assurance for your VTA product, MPI can issue several types of certificate of compliance, providing the requirements and conditions are met:

To request a certificate, email Fees will apply.

Check the registration status of your product, if required 

If your destination country needs to know whether your product is registered in New Zealand, you can search the ACVM register to find out.

Register your product, if required

If required by your destination country, you will need to get your product registered. Details of the requirements and the registration process are available by:

Manufacturing and exporting VTAs to Australia, Canada, the European Union, and Switzerland

New Zealand has trade agreements, called mutual recognition agreements (MRAs), with Australia, Canada, the European Union, and Switzerland.

The MRA specifies what quality assurances will be accepted by both countries and allows mutual recognition of certification.

If you are manufacturing VTAs for export to these countries, then you must supply a batch certificate for your consignment.

Getting your export documentation

How you know you've met MPI requirements.

If you requested documentation or certification from MPI, then a paper copy signed by MPI will be posted to you.

Before you send your export product, check that you have met the importing requirements of your destination country and returned all the correct documentation and paid any fees.

When to alert MPI

As an exporter, you're responsible for telling MPI within 24 hours if your VTA products for export:

  • become unfit for their intended purpose
  • don't have the required export documents – for example, they have been removed or lost.

Who to contact

If you have any questions, email

Last reviewed: