Animal Welfare Export Certificates
- Form to request services from the animal export team
- AWEC application form for non-exempt cats and dogs
- Terms of reference: Review into the Maritime Safety Information Requirements for the Export of Livestock by Sea
- Review into the Maritime Safety Information Requirements for the Export of Livestock by Sea
- Post Implementation Assessment – Temporary suspension of Animal Welfare Export Certificates
Update – 16 July 2021
Exports of livestock by sea ending
Exports of livestock by sea will stop on 30 April 2023, marking the end of a transition period to wind down the trade. MPI will continue to make improvements to manage animal welfare risks during the transition period, as part of the continuous improvement programme for livestock by sea.
Different processes for different animals
To get an Animal Welfare Export Certificate (AWEC) to export cattle, deer, sheep and goats:
For other types of live animal exports:
Regulations relating to animal exports and animal welfare export certificates are in Part 3 of the Animal Welfare Act 1999. Exporters need to be familar with the legislation.
Who to contact
If you have questions about exporting live animals, email firstname.lastname@example.org