Skip to content

Animal Welfare Export Certificates

If you're exporting live animals, you're legally required to get an Animal Welfare Export Certificate (AWEC), unless you have an exemption. The AWEC process aims to minimise any welfare risks faced by animals during their journey and protect New Zealand's reputation as a responsible exporter of live animals. You must apply to MPI to get an AWEC.

In this section

I tēnei wāhanga

Update – 16 July 2021

Exports of livestock by sea ending

Exports of livestock by sea will stop on 30 April 2023, marking the end of a transition period to wind down the trade. MPI will continue to make improvements to manage animal welfare risks during the transition period, as part of the continuous improvement programme for livestock by sea.

Different processes for different animals

To get an Animal Welfare Export Certificate (AWEC) to export cattle, deer, sheep and goats:

For other types of live animal exports:

Legal obligations

Regulations relating to animal exports and animal welfare export certificates are in Part 3 of the Animal Welfare Act 1999. Exporters need to be familar with the legislation.

Who to contact

If you have questions about exporting live animals, email