Official export devices for animal products
If you export animal products, including dairy, you must use official devices such as brands, legend materials, carton and container seals.
Official devices explained
There are several kinds of official devices, which are officially controlled and approved by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI):
- Legend materials, such as a reduced-size official assurance legend printed on packaging material – this confirms that the products inside the packaging have been inspected and are fit for purpose.
- Brands, which are a device for applying an official assurance legend directly onto animal products by using approved ink or heated metal.
- Carton seals, which display the New Zealand coat of arms and the operator’s official assurance legend, and provide evidence that the cartons have not been tampered with.
- Container seals, that are used to secure the doors or other closures of things like cargo containers and ships holds, and are used to support official assurances or transfer documentation.
When official devices are required
Official devices are required only for animal products including dairy. They are used when the products are manufactured, stored or transported in New Zealand and exported to a destination country. As well as meeting the New Zealand requirements, some destination countries have additional requirements for official devices.
The New Zealand requirements are described in General Requirements for Export (GREX), and other notices and guidance. The requirements for each destination country or market are described in the Overseas Market Access Requirements (OMARs).
Legislative requirements for official devices
The requirements for official devices are set out in notices, administrative requirements, and guidance issued under the Animal Products Act 1999.
If you process, store, or transport any animal products that are intended for export, you must meet the requirements in the Animal Products Notice Export Requirements for Official Devices [PDF, 675 KB]
If you manufacture tamper-evident seals for use on consignments of animal products that are intended for export, you must meet the requirements in the Animal Products Notice Tamper-Evident Seals [PDF, 250 KB]
This Notice also:
- requires controls around the distribution and use of official devices and operator container seals to be to the satisfaction of the director-general
- explains the approval requirements for manufacturers and suppliers of official devices.
Who to contact
If you have questions about official export devices for animal products, email email@example.com