Codex is important to New Zealand, so we participate in several committees and work areas. We want to be sure that Codex standards are based on robust science and promote fair trade practices. New Zealand achieves this by:
- being the host country for the Codex committees on meat hygiene, and milk and milk products
- leading the development of international standards in these areas
- participating in inter-sessional working groups in various committees and subject areas.
In the months before international Codex committee meetings, MPI holds preparatory meetings to consult with stakeholders. These are open to all interested parties.
Preparatory meetings let us:
- share information
- develop policy positions that reflect New Zealand’s strategic interests.
Attending preparatory meetings
If you want to be on MPI’s consultation list for a Codex subject area, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Details of upcoming preparatory meetings are:
- posted on the New Zealand Codex meetings page
- emailed to interested parties.
International Codex meetings
The Codex website has a schedule of upcoming meetings. Documents and working papers for each meeting can be downloaded.
If you require assistance, email MPI at email@example.com
Attending international Codex meetings
New Zealand delegations to Codex meetings are led by Government representatives from MPI. Non-governmental representatives can accompany the delegation as observer members. Observer members must agree to certain conditions.
Outcomes from meetings
MPI reports on the outcomes of Codex meetings and significant decisions. You can subscribe to receive emails on this topic.
Codex documents such as reports from recent meetings are archived on our website.