Honey and bee product risk management programmes

If you process or store bee products for export and need an official assurance, you must operate under a registered risk management programme (RMP). Find out how to develop your RMP and get it verified.

Which bee products businesses need an RMP

If you export bee products to countries that require official assurance, you must operate under a risk management programme (RMP). This applies if you are:

  • an operator who stores bee products intended for export, or
  • a secondary processor who extracts, processes, packs, or stores bee products.

Developing your RMP

You can develop your bee product RMP in one of 2 ways.

  1. Use a Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) RMP template.
  2. Write your own, using the bee products Operational Code.

Templates for bee product RMPs

Template RMPs don't need to be evaluated

If you use one of the RMP templates, you don't need to get an independent evaluation of your RMP. You can find out more about this in the waiver document.

Waiver of the requirement to provide a copy of an independent evaluation report [PDF, 117 KB]

However, you'll need to get your RMP evaluated if you:

  • write your own RMP, or
  • change any sections of our RMP templates, by adding extra processes or activities.

Using the bee products operational code to develop an RMP

You can write your own custom RMP. You can use the MPI bee products operational code to develop it. It guides you through the requirements for developing, registering, and implementing your RMP.

Operational Code: Processing of bee products [PDF, 1.9 MB]

How to get your RMP verified

Bee product RMPs are verified by either:

You can decide which agency you'd like to do the verification. When you apply to register your RMP, you'll need to include a letter from your chosen agency confirming that they're willing to verify your RMP.

Maintenance compounds for bee product processing

If your business operates under an RMP, the chemicals you use to clean or maintain your bee product processing area (maintenance compounds) must meet certain requirements.

You can use our database to find approved maintenance compounds.

Approved maintenance compounds – non-dairy

Find out about other requirements for exporting honey

Exporting bee products

Overseas market access requirements (OMARs)

Who to contact

If you have questions about honey and bee product RMPs, email info@mpi.govt.nz

Last reviewed: