Renderer requirements

If you render animal products for animal feed, pet food or human consumption, or produce inedible animal products, you must meet the requirements of the Animal Products Act 1999 and other legislation.

Rendered animal product legislation

The legal requirements for rendering include the Animal Products Act 1999, Animal Products Regulations 2000, and the Animal Consumption Specifications. 

The requirements that apply to your rendered animal products business will depend on what you are doing.

The Biosecurity (Ruminant Protein) Regulations 1999 also apply to most renderers. 

Read a summary of the specific requirements for different businesses:

If you render for animal consumption

Animal materials can be rendered (broken down) into by-products for consumption by animals. Operators rendering animal material for animal consumption must:

  • comply with the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999 
  • operate under a registered risk management programme (RMP)
  • if exporting, be registered with MPI (the Ministry for Primary Industries) and meet destination country requirements.

If you render for human consumption

If you render animal material for human consumption, such as fish oils or beef lard, refer to the relevant food sector to find out the requirements you need to meet.

Meeting APA requirements 

Under the APA, all rendering operations are required to operate under a registered RMP. The Rendering Code of Practice (COP) provides specific guidance for meeting RMP requirements.

The Rendering COP helps businesses to:

  • meet the requirements of the APA and related legislation
  • produce rendered products that are safe and suitable
  • prevent animal product that is not fit for human consumption from entering the human food chain.

Refer to the COP and read more about RMPs:

Exporting rendered product

You must be registered with MPI as an animal product exporter if the rendered products you export are intended for either or both of the following:

  • animal consumption
  • a destination market that requires an official assurance (usually an export certificate).

Find out how to register as an exporter:

In addition to New Zealand requirements, you need to meet those set by the country where the rendered product is being sold. You must ensure you meet all requirements relating to rendered product and the intended market.

Find out more about Overseas Market Access Requirements (OMARs) and see the latest notifications:

Exporting inedible animal products

If you export products made from animal materials that are not for human or animal consumption, the destination country may require them to be certified by MPI. There are no specific requirements for inedible products made from animal materials sold in New Zealand.

Defining inedible animal products

Inedible animal products can be defined as any product made from animal materials that is not for human or animal consumption. Common examples include:

  • hides and skins
  • animal fibres such as wool and feathers
  • biotechnology and scientific materials
  • game trophies
  • shells
  • blood products used for biotechnology purposes or scientific materials.

When MPI certification is required

If you export inedible animal products, you need to meet the requirements set by the country where the product is being sold. These requirements may include MPI certifying your product by giving it an official assurance before it is exported.

Check the Overseas Market Access Requirements (OMARs) for the country you are exporting to:

Getting MPI certification (official assurance)

Official assurances from MPI are usually issued as export certificates, which indicate that all applicable standards have been met.

You need to comply with relevant parts of the Animal Products Act (APA) 1999, including the following:

Find out more about the official assurance programme (OAP):

Registering with MPI

Under the APA, all exporters who require official assurances for the product they export must register with MPI.

Find out how to register as an exporter:

Meeting ruminant protein regulations

If you render animal material, there are rules you must follow to reduce the risk of your product spreading disease through animal feed.

If your site renders only ruminants

All of your packaged rendered products must have this wording on the label:

"Notice: Do not feed to sheep, cattle, deer, goats, buffaloes, or other ruminant animals. This product contains or may contain ruminant protein."

If your rendered product is sold in bulk then this wording must be on the invoice or waybill.

Feed and fertiliser labelling requirements apply to rendered products.

If your site renders ruminants and non-ruminants

The labelling requirements for ruminant products apply.

However, non-ruminant products don't need the ruminant protein notice if:

  • they are processed on a line that only processes non-ruminants, and
  • your site has a registered Ruminant Protein Control Programme.

If your site renders only non-ruminants but has ruminant protein

If you store or use ruminant protein on your site, then you will need to have a registered Ruminant Protein Control Programme if the rendered products are for feeding to ruminants.

Ruminant Protein Assurance Programme for Tallow

Fat from ruminants is considered a ruminant protein if the insoluble impurities in it are more than 0.15% w/w (weight by weight). 

The Ruminant Protein Assurance Programme for Tallow guides rendering premises to meet the requirements under the ruminant protein regulations.

It was developed by MPI, in consultation with the New Zealand Renderers Group of the Meat Industry Association.

Ruminant Protein Assurance Programme for Tallow [PDF, 236 KB]

Last reviewed: