Storing animal products for export

Follow these steps if you store animal products for export (including dairy products) that are for human or animal consumption. Export storage includes both cold and dry stores.

Follow the steps 

Expand All
What you need to know

An overview of being a storage operator for export animal products.

If you store animal products for human or animal consumption for export, you need to:

  • be registered with MPI
  • comply with the Animal Products Act 1999
  • be familiar with the cold and dry stores code of practice, or industry standards
  • operate under an approved risk management programme (RMP), where required
  • comply with all requirements of the country you are exporting to.
What you need to do

The tasks you need to complete.

Register as an exporter or use the services of a registered exporter

If you're exporting commercially, you must register with MPI or use the services of a registered exporter. Exporter registration can be done online, or by completing a printed form.

If you have questions about registering as an exporter, email

Non-commercial exporters don't usually have to register

If the purpose of your export is non-commercial, you don't have to register as an exporter or use the services of a registered exporter unless requested by your shipper (airline or shipping company).

Comply with legislation

Cold and dry storage of animal products is classified as secondary processing under the Animal Products Act 1999. A Code of Practice provides guidance for storage operators and will help you meet the requirements of the Act.

If you are only storing meat or meat products, you can refer to the industry standard for storing and transporting meat.

Download the industry standard for storing and transporting meat [PDF, 83 KB]

Find out if you need to operate under a risk management programme (RMP)

You must operate under an RMP if you store:

  • dairy products for export (to all countries except Australia) for all exports intended for human or animal consumption
  • animal products (excluding dairy products) for export that require an official assurance (export certificates).

Download the Animal Products (Official Assurance Specifications – Dairy Material and Dairy Products) Notice 2016 [PDF, 537 KB]

Download the Animal Products Notice: Official Assurances Specifications for Animal Material and Animal Products [PDF, 676 KB]

If you're unsure if your animal product needs official assurance, check the Overseas Market Access Requirements (OMAR) document for your intended export country and product type to find out if it's needed.

Develop an RMP, if needed

If you need an RMP, refer to the code of practice for cold and dry stores for guidance on meeting RMP requirements for animal product storage.

Get your RMP verified

Your RMP needs to be checked by an MPI-recognised verifier.

Comply with destination country requirements

You also need to meet any storage requirements set by the country where the product is being sold. These requirements are laid out in the Official Market Access Requirements (OMAR) for each commodity and country. Alternatively ask your exporting agent.

How you know you can store export animal products

Getting your documentation.

You're ready to store animal products for export when you have:

  • registered as an exporter with MPI, if needed
  • complied with legal requirements
  • an approved risk management programme, if needed
  • contracted a recognised verifier
  • met all the destination country’s requirements.
Last reviewed: