Handling animal products for export at wharves

If you handle animal products at a wharf (including an airline holding facility), find out about operating under a regulated control scheme or a risk management programme.

Wharf operator options

If you handle animal products that will be exported with an official assurance (export certificate), you must work under a:

  • risk management programme (RMP), or
  • regulated control scheme (RCS).

Operating under an RMP

If you decide to operate under an RMP, you need to register it with the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).

Find out more about risk management programmes

See a list of registered risk management programmes

Operating under an RCS

The regulated control scheme (RCS) for wharves is an alternative to an RMP. You can only operate under this if you handle animal products for export that require an official assurance.

Regulated control scheme for wharves

Who to contact

If you have questions about handling animal products for export at wharves, email info@mpi.govt.nz

Last reviewed: