Fees and charges for importing petfood

You'll be charged for services provided by MPI and other service providers when you're importing pet food.

What our fees cover

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) calculates fees on a cost-recovery basis.

Activities and services we may charge for include:

  • import permits
  • border clearance inspections
  • holding, destroying, and re-shipping goods that can't be cleared
  • travel costs.

Not all the fees on this page may apply to you and there could be other charges not listed here – like storage or laboratory costs. 

Import permit

Some pet food products need a permit before they can be imported into New Zealand. The import health standards (IHS) will tell you if a permit is needed.

Fee typeFee (excl GST)Fee (incl GST)
Application for permit to import animal products, including pet foods  $191.95* $220.74*
*If processing your application takes longer than one-and-a-half hours, additional time will be charged at an hourly rate of $102.27 excluding GST or $117.61 including GST.

Border clearance charges

MPI may charge you for costs related to inspecting your pet food products when they arrive in New Zealand.

You may be charged extra fees if MPI's biosecurity inspector has to:

  • travel to inspect your goods
  • wait before inspection can start
  • be called out after hours.

Charges for MPI inspectors, including travel charges

Fee typeFee (excl GST)Fee (incl GST)
Biosecurity inspector – hourly rate* $102.27  $117.61

Travel charges for MPI inspectors

Travel within zone 1 – up to 4 km from base $34.86 $40.09
Travel within zone 2 – over 4 km and up to 10 km from base $70.75 $81.36
Travel within zone 3 – over 10 km and up to 25 km from base $109.24 $125.63
Travel within zone 4 – over 25 km and up to 50 km from base $149.19 $171.57
Travel more than 50 km from base Hourly rates, plus a mileage charge of $0.67 a kilometre. Other travel-related costs may also apply. Hourly rates, plus a mileage charge of $0.7705 a kilometre. Other travel-related costs may also apply.
*Hourly rate charges also apply to waiting times.

Other charges

Costs for class determination of pet food products

You may need to get a letter with the authorisation status (under the ACVM Act) of your pet food to import it.

To get a letter, you'll need to apply for a class determination of your product. The cost of this is listed on the application form.

Testing or treatment charges

If your pet food products need testing or treating, you'll have to pay for these services. You may also have to pay storage costs at a transitional facility.

You'll need to contact the individual facility for their charges.

Find out more

Who to contact

If you have questions about importing fees and charges, email info@mpi.govt.nz

Last reviewed: