NZ export statistics and trade data for ice cream, honey, organics, and non-alcoholic beverages
Interested in how a product is performing? Our one-page export data fact sheets will tell you.
Non-alcoholic beverages import and export trade data
- New Zealand exports of non-alcoholic beverages in 2020 totalled $267 million. This was down from a high of $282 million in 2019.
- Soft drinks were the largest category. They made up 58% of total exports.
- Australia was the largest market by value ($157 million).
- Japan was the largest market for fruit and vegetable juice exports.
- China was the largest market for plain water (45% of total plain water exports).
- In the past 10 years, New Zealand’s exports grew faster than imports by value.
- Overall market growth is forecast to be 6%. The fastest growth category will be carbonated ready-to-drink tea (kombucha) with 12% growth year-on-year.
Honey and bee products export data
- Strong export growth: honey export volumes have increased by 40% (3.6 tonnes) over the past year.
- The top honey export price year ending March 2021 was $53.13 per kilo for monofloral mānuka.
- Monofloral mānuka honey is still holding a larger share in the global honey market compared to 2020.
- The United States was the largest importer of New Zealand honey by retail pack (1,854 tonnes) and the United Kingdom was the largest importer by bulk drums (1,288 tonnes).
- Although China is the largest honey retail market globally, the United States, Germany, Japan, and the United Kingdom are the largest importers by value.
NZ honey exports: fact sheet [PDF, 2.2 MB]
Organic food and beverage export data
- The value of New Zealand organic products exported under MPI's Organic Official Assurance Programme (OOAP) to the year ending June was $134 million.
- The EU and USA have been the main export markets for New Zealand organic products under the OOAP by export value since 2011.
- In 2019 the UK was a key market for New Zealand organic lamb exports and the USA was the largest importer of NZ organic beef.
- The global organic packaged food retail market reached $57 billion in 2019 with dairy, baby food and bread the largest product categories by value.
- New Zealand's market for organic packaged food is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 12% between 2019 and 2024.
NZ organic food and beverage exports: fact sheet [PDF, 375 KB]
Ice cream import and export trade data
- In the year ending 2018, the export value of New Zealand ice cream was $58.9 million.
- The retail value of the NZ ice cream market is expected to reach $533 million by 2024.
- China, Japan, Australia, Fiji, and Tonga are the key export markets.
- Take-home ice cream leads the category, but bulk ice cream enjoys the highest rate of growth (5% in 2018).
- Dairy-free ice cream is expected to have the highest growth in volume and price in the next 5 years but its share in the total market remains very small.
NZ ice cream trade: fact sheet [PDF, 920 KB]