Labelling hemp seed and food containing hemp seed
Find out about the rules for labelling hemp seeds as food or food containing hemp seed.
General food label rules apply to hemp seed
If your food is hemp seed or contains hemp seed, you must follow the general food labelling rules.
But there are also some extra labelling rules for these products.
What you can't put on the label of a food containing hemp seeds
Your label must not:
- include the words "cannabis", "marijuana", or words that mean the same thing
- include an image of any part of the Cannabis sativa plant, except the seed
- imply that the product could alter mood, behaviour, or cause hallucinations
- make any nutrition or health claim about cannabidiol (CBD)
- give the concentration of CBD.
These rules also apply to advertising and marketing hemp seed, including online.
Find out more
A guide to labelling food containing hemp seeds [PDF, 652 KB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about labelling requirements for hemp seeds, email email@example.com