Template or custom FCP?
Many businesses can use a food control plan (FCP) template, provided by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI). Others will need to develop their own FCP (a custom FCP) or use an industry-developed template.
You'll need to register your plan each year and have a regular check (verification) to make sure your plan is being followed.
Businesses that can use a template FCP
The types of businesses that can use a template FCP include:
- food service businesses such as restaurants, cafes, takeaways, catering, or hospital kitchens
- food retailers that prepare or manufacture and sell food – including retail butchers, fishmongers, delis, and supermarkets
- cheesemakers and cheesemongers
- members of an organisation that has created its own template – approved by MPI's New Zealand Food Safety.
Learn more about template food control plans
Businesses that will use a custom FCP
The types of businesses that will use a custom FCP include those that:
- want to create their own unique plan tailored to their way of doing things
- have food activities not covered by National Programmes or the templates above
- have diverse activities and don't want to operate off multiple plans
- manufacture high-risk foods such as fresh ready-to-eat salads, meat, poultry, fish, processed egg products, or food for vulnerable groups such as babies or the elderly.
Follow the steps to get a custom food control plan
Unsure where you fit?
If you're not sure if your business will operate under a food control plan, MPI has developed a tool – My food rules – to help you work it out.
Who to contact
If you have questions about food control plans, email firstname.lastname@example.org