What our fees cover
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) calculates fees on a cost-recovery basis. Activities and services we may charge exporters for include:
- setting standards for wine export
- registering or updating a wine standards management plan.
Not all the fees on this page may apply to you and there may be other charges not listed here.
Levy for larger wine exporters
MPI charges a levy to wine businesses exporting more than 200,000 litres of wine in a financial year. This levy pays for services like:
- determining whether wine is eligible for export
- providing statements of export eligibility
- issuing official assurances for export wine
- setting export standards and requirements for wine export
- notifying or making available market access requirements
- compliance and systems audit activities related to export
Charges for exporters of more than 200,000 litres of wine
|Annual levy||Charge (excl GST)||Charge (incl GST)|
|Exporters of more than 200,000 litres of wine||$0.005 a litre||$0.00575 a litre|
MPI sends out invoices at the end of each financial quarter to wine exporters. You'll be billed in October, January, April and July for the previous quarter. Your first invoice each year will not be sent until the total due reaches $500 – or, if you do not reach $500, by 30 June.