Custom Food Control Plans
Manufacturers of high-risk foods or businesses which need multiple Food Act registrations will need a custom Food Control Plan (FCP) and register it with MPI. Other businesses can also choose this type of plan to personalise the way they manage food safety. We've created step-by-step processes so you can see what's involved.
What is a custom FCP?
An FCP is a comprehensive plan for managing food safety. A custom FCP is either:
- A plan you develop to suit your business. In the plan, you need to identify the food safety risks involved in what you do and show how you will manage these. The plan will need to be evaluated.
- Or – it’s a pre-evaluated My Food Plan. This type of custom FCP is only available through the tool, My food rules. It is a combination of content from Simply Safe & Suitable, Food Safety Template for Winemakers and National Programme 1 that a business can use. My Food Plan has already been evaluated, which saves you time and money.
You will need to:
- develop your plan or download it from My Food Rules
- have it evaluated (if required)
- register it with MPI, and renew your registration each year
- get checked by a verifier (auditor)
- follow your plan to make safe food.
Types of custom FCPs
New Zealand Food Safety provides 2 pre-evaluated custom FCPs:
- My Food Plan. This is a pre-evaluated plan available only through My Food Rules. It is a combination of pre-evaluated Simply Safe & Suitable, Food Safety Template for Winemakers and National Programme 1 that a business can use.
- Standard custom food control plan
Check a Custom FCP is right for you
If you're not sure if your business fits under a custom FCP, our tool will help you work it out.
How to create a custom FCP
We have a step-by-step process for each type of custom FCP. Select the one that suits your business:
Read the guide to help develop your standard custom FCP, and then follow the steps to register your plan.
Guide to help develop your custom food control plan [PDF, 1.1 MB]
Who to contact
If you have questions about food control plans, email email@example.com