A food control plan (FCP) is a written document that sets out what a business needs to take to keep food safe. Find out what plan you should use for your food business.
Template or custom FCP?
Many businesses can use a food control plan (FCP) template, provided by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI). Others will need to develop their own FCP (a custom FCP) or use an industry-developed template.
You'll need to register your plan each year and have a regular check (verification) to make sure your plan is being followed.
Businesses that can use a template FCP
The types of businesses that can use a template FCP include:
- food service businesses such as restaurants, cafes, takeaways, catering, or hospital kitchens
- food retailers that prepare or manufacture and sell food – including retail butchers, fishmongers, delis, and supermarkets
- cheesemakers and cheesemongers
- members of an organisation that has created its own template – approved by MPI's New Zealand Food Safety.
Businesses that will use a custom FCP
The types of businesses that will use a custom FCP include those that:
- want to create their own unique plan tailored to their way of doing things
- have food activities not covered by National Programmes or the templates above
- have diverse activities and don't want to operate off multiple plans
- manufacture high-risk foods such as fresh ready-to-eat salads, meat, poultry, fish, processed egg products, or food for vulnerable groups such as babies or the elderly.
Get your plans ready in time
In February 2017, MPI redesigned the template food control plan in consultation with businesses. The updated plan is called Simply Safe & Suitable – Food Control Plan. It's designed to be easier to use. There is also an online tool to help you select the parts you need.
Changes to a registered food control plan
If you make a change to your food control plan or the way you operate your business after the plan is registered, you need to let your registration authority know.
Unsure where you fit?
If you're not sure if your business will operate under a food control plan, MPI has developed a tool – My food rules – to help you work it out.
Who to contact
If you have questions about food control plans, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback