Template Food Control Plans
Many food businesses can use a template food control plan to meet the requirements of the Food Act. Find out if you can use one of the templates in your business.
What is a template Food Control Plan?
A template Food Control Plan (FCP) is a pre-evaluated plan for managing food safety and suitability. If your business activities are covered by one of the available templates, you can use this rather than creating your own custom FCP.
In 2016-2017, MPI redesigned the template FCP in consultation with businesses. The first new FCP, called the Simply Safe & Suitable, was issued on 1 March 2017.
Types of template FCPs
New Zealand Food Safety provides the following pre-evaluated plans:
- Simply Safe & Suitable – for food service and food retail businesses [PDF, 1 MB]
- Food Safety Template for Cheesemakers [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Food Safety Template for Winemakers [PDF, 1.4 MB]
There are also industry-developed template FCPs created by other organisations and approved by New Zealand Food Safety. Usually these are only available to their members, so you’ll need to get in touch with the organisation if you want to use their template. Industry-developed templates are available for:
- New Zealand Aged Care Association
- Care Association New Zealand
- Lone Star
- Baking Industry Association of New Zealand
- Bunnings Warehouse New Zealand
- Global Good Agricultural Practice (GLOBALG.A.P)
- New Zealand Good Agricultural Practice (NZGAP)
- British Retail Consortium (BRC) – for fresh produce only
In more detail
For more information about each type of template FCP:
- Simply Safe & Suitable
- Food Safety Template for Cheesemakers
- Steps to using an industry-developed FCP
If you're not sure if your business fits under a template FCP, our My Food Rules tool will help you work it out.
Who to contact
If you have questions about FCPs, email firstname.lastname@example.org
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)