Template food control plans
Most food service businesses and food retailers can use a template food control plan to meet the requirements of the Food Act. Find out if you can use one of the templates for your business.
What is a template food control plan?
A template food control plan (FCP) is a pre-evaluated plan for managing food safety. If your business activities are covered by one of the available templates, you can use this rather than creating your own custom plan.
Types of template FCPs
New Zealand Food Safety provides the following pre-evaluated plans:
- Simply Safe & Suitable – for food service and food retail businesses [PDF, 1024 KB]
- Food Safety Template for Cheesemakers. [PDF, 1.1 MB]
There are also industry-developed (section 40/s40) templates, created by other organisations and approved by New Zealand Food Safety. Usually these are only available to their members, so you’ll need to get in touch with the organisation if you want to use their template. Industry-developed templates are available for:
- NZ Aged Care Association
- Care Association New Zealand
- Lone Star
- Baking Industry Association of New Zealand
- Bunnings Warehouse New Zealand
Check a template FCP is right for you
If you're not sure if your business fits under a template FCP, our tool will help you work it out.
How to create a template FCP
We have a step-by-step process for each type of template FCP. Select the one that suits your business:
- Steps to a Simply Safe & Suitable FCP
- Food Safety Template for Cheesemakers
- Steps to using an industry-developed FCP
- Create an industry-developed FCP
Who to contact
If you have questions about food control plans, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback