Growing and protecting New Zealand
MPI and its business units help grow and protect New Zealand by:
- providing policy advice and programmes that support the sustainable development of New Zealand's primary industries
- being the Government's principal advisers on, and maintaining effective management of, New Zealand's fisheries and aquaculture
- leading New Zealand's biosecurity system
- managing forestry assets for the Crown and leading the One Billion Trees Programme
- working with people and businesses to support everyone involved in the chain of food production to meet food safety standards
- playing a key role in enabling international market access for New Zealand's primary products
- representing the interests of the New Zealand primary sector in international trade policy and standard-setting forums.
Science is critical to MPI
Our Science Strategy gives guidance on how we use science to support our work. MPI's vision is that ‘New Zealand will be the world’s most sustainable provider of high-value food and primary products.’
High quality science and science evidence are critical to helping us achieve this. As a major funder, user and generator of science it's important we have a robust and efficient science system. We've developed the Science Strategy to describe our science role, and how we'll use science throughout MPI.
The strategy will provide MPI with strategic direction for:
- planning and prioritising our science needs
- help guide our future investment in science
- help us to monitor how these benefit New Zealand.
It also gives our partners and providers a clear understanding of our science system to support working in partnership.