Getting a vertebrate toxic agent authorised

Find out about the different types of authorisation for vertebrate toxic agents in New Zealand.

Authorisation for VTAs

If you want to import, manufacture, sell, or use a vertebrate toxic agent (VTA) in New Zealand, it must be authorised under the ACVM Act and Regulations.

There are 3 types of authorisation for VTAs:


This authorises a specific trade name product. This type of authorisation applies to most VTA products.  

Provisional registration

This lets you do trial work in New Zealand to get information on an intended trade name product. It can be used to help you decide if you should register the product in New Zealand.

Approval in special circumstances

This allows VTA use under strict conditions without registration or provisional registration.

Conditions of authorisation

When your VTA has been authorised, you must comply with any conditions on that authorisation. These conditions may affect some activities when:

Last reviewed: