Registering a VTA

Find out how to register a vertebrate toxic agent (VTA) or change an existing registration.

About registration

Registration authorises your trade name product for import, manufacture, sale, or use in New Zealand. It is an approval to market your VTA. 

To manage risks, all registered VTAs have conditions placed on their registration.

Restrictions are conditions that limit a product's sale, purchase or use. When we register your VTA, we'll assign it to one of these 3 groups:

  • unrestricted sale and unrestricted use
  • restricted sale and unrestricted use
  • restricted sale and restricted use.

Read about how we process registration applications

How to register your product

To register your VTA, you need to fill out the application form and send it to us, along with all the required information outlined in the information requirements document.

You'll need to provide a completed product data sheet. Follow our guideline for help completing it.

Use  the renewal of registration form if you're applying to renew registration of a VTA. 

Specific information requirements

You may need a number of other documents and information specific to your application, relating to:

  • data protection
  • biosecurity
  • chemistry and manufacturing
  • target animals
  • efficacy
  • equivalence
  • labelling. 

Find out what you need to provide in Registration information requirements for VTAs. Find the documents you need on our documents web page.

For animal welfare requirements, contact MPI.

Consider using a consultant

If you are unsure how to register your product, consider hiring a consultant to help you. As the regulatory body, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) can't provide consultation services through the registration process. Listed consultants, are not MPI-endorsed. They nominate their own areas of expertise – check the key at the bottom of the consultants list.

Data assessment

Before an application can be processed, MPI or a third party must assess all required data. Data assessment is generally quicker if you use an independent assessor.

Data assessment reports must be done by an independent assessor. You can't use in-house assessors or assessors related to your company. Your registration consultant can't also be your data assessor.

It's your responsibility to make sure the person doing the data assessment has appropriate qualifications. If a data assessor is not on our list below, you must include their CV with your application. 

Templates for data assessment reports are available on our VTA documents page.

If you think you may not need to provide some of the required information, read:

How to request a change

To make a change to your product registration, you need 2 forms:

Download the relevant form from the VTA documents page.

What we charge

Last reviewed: