Registration authorises your trade name product for import, manufacture, sale, or use in New Zealand. It is an approval to market your VTA.
To manage risks, all registered VTAs have conditions placed on their registration.
Restrictions are conditions that limit a product's sale, purchase or use. When we register your VTA, we'll assign it to one of these 3 groups:
- unrestricted sale and unrestricted use
- restricted sale and unrestricted use
- restricted sale and restricted use.
Read about how we process registration applications
How to register your product
To register your VTA, you need to fill out the application form and send it to us, along with all the required information outlined in the information requirements document.
- Application form [DOC, 480 KB]
- Registration information requirements for VTAs [PDF, 137 KB]
You'll need to provide a completed product data sheet. Follow our guideline for help completing it.
- Product data sheet [DOC, 836 KB]
- VTA product data sheet guideline [PDF, 423 KB]
Use the renewal of registration form if you're applying to renew registration of a VTA.
- Renewal of registration of ACVM product [DOC, 469 KB]
Specific information requirements
You may need a number of other documents and information specific to your application, relating to:
- data protection
- chemistry and manufacturing
- target animals
Find out what you need to provide in Registration information requirements for VTAs. Find the documents you need on our documents web page.
For animal welfare requirements, contact MPI.
- Email email@example.com
Consider using a consultant
If you are unsure how to register your product, consider hiring a consultant to help you. As the regulatory body, the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) can't provide consultation services through the registration process. Listed consultants, are not MPI-endorsed. They nominate their own areas of expertise – check the key at the bottom of the consultants list.
Before an application can be processed, MPI or a third party must assess all required data. Data assessment is generally quicker if you use an independent assessor.
Data assessment reports must be done by an independent assessor. You can't use in-house assessors or assessors related to your company. Your registration consultant can't also be your data assessor.
It's your responsibility to make sure the person doing the data assessment has appropriate qualifications. If a data assessor is not on our list below, you must include their CV with your application.
Templates for data assessment reports are available on our VTA documents page.
If you think you may not need to provide some of the required information, read:
- Deviation from information specified in the ACVM registration information requirements [PDF, 107 KB]
How to request a change
To make a change to your product registration, you need 2 forms:
- Variation to registration of an ACVM product (ACVM 1V) application [DOC, 490 KB]
- One of ACVM forms 6 to 14, depending on the type of change (check the list in section 6 of the variation form).
Download the relevant form from the VTA documents page.