3. Register as a pet food exporter

If you're exporting pet food commercially, you must register with MPI or use the services of a registered exporter.

Who needs to register

If your pet food contains animal products, you need to register as an exporter under the Animal Products Act 1999.

If it does not contain animal products, you may not need to register. Contact our exporter help team to check.

How to register

You can do this online.

Alternatively, you can complete one of these forms:

AP1 exporter registration form [PDF, 456 KB]

AP1 exporter registration form [DOCX, 357 KB]

Notes about registering

  • You'll need to pay a registration fee each year.
  • Registration applications are assessed according to requirements set out in section 54 of the Animal Products Act 1999.
  • If you don't register with the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI), you can use the services of an exporter who is already registered.


If you have questions about registering as an exporter, email approvals@mpi.govt.nz

Our list of registered exporters

When your application has been processed and approved by MPI, you will be added to our list of registered exporters. This list is available to the public.

Find out more

Last reviewed: