5. Apply for a pet food export certificate

How to apply for an export certificate (official assurance) for your pet food export. This is one of 5 steps for exporting pet food.

Using E-cert

If the destination market for your pet food requires an export certificate (or official assurance), you need to apply for it through E-cert. You have to register to access E-cert. Step 4 tells you how to register.

Log in

When you're registered, you can log in and use the system.

The information and declarations you, or the operators you work with, have entered about the production of your pet food products confirm that they comply with requirements.

Training and help using AP E-cert

Guidance resources to help you understand the exporting process, certification, and how to use AP E-cert.

Learn how to use AP E-cert

AP E-cert demonstration

Walk-through a demo to learn how to raise an export certificate in AP E-cert.

Walk-through demo of AP E-cert

Request approval of your certificate

Once the export certificate application has been raised in E-cert, email your nearest Ministry of Primary Industries signing office to arrange approval of the export certificate.


Phone number



09 909 2701


Bay of Plenty

07 5712815



04 894 0926



03 943 1777


Getting your export certificate

When MPI is satisfied that your pet food complies with all requirements and standards, we issue the official assurance (export certificate) through E-cert.

The official assurance can be provided for your consignment in various ways. Check the OMAR of your destination market and the Official Assurances Specification to work out what you need.

Read the Animal Product Official Assurances Specifications [PDF, 676 KB]

Find out more

Get help

If you need help with a pet food export, contact MPI's exporter help team.

Last reviewed: