Animal Welfare Export Certificates

If you're exporting live animals, you're legally required to get an Animal Welfare Export Certificate (AWEC), unless you have an exemption. The AWEC process aims to minimise any welfare risks faced by animals during their journey and protect New Zealand's reputation as a responsible exporter of live animals. You must apply to MPI to get an AWEC.
Some animals don't need an AWEC. Check the list before you start.
Check the restrictions on exporting livestock.

Different processes for different animals

To get an Animal Welfare Export Certificate (AWEC) to export cattle, deer, sheep and goats:


For other types of live animal exports:

Legal obligations

Regulations relating to animal exports and animal welfare export certificates are in Part 3 of the Animal Welfare Act 1999. Exporters need to be familar with the legislation.

Who to contact

If you have questions about exporting live animals, email

Last reviewed: