Use a template food control plan
Many food businesses can use a Template Food Control Plan to meet the requirements of the Food Act. Find out if you can use one of the templates in your business by using My Food Rules.
What is a template Food Control Plan?
A Template Food Control Plan (FCP) is a pre-evaluated plan for managing food safety and suitability. If your business activities are covered by one of the available templates, you can use this rather than creating your own custom FCP.
Use the My Food Rules tool to find out if your business needs to follow a Template FCP. You will get a customised plan at the end of the tool which will outline the requirements and the next steps that you need to follow for you and your business under the Food Act.
New Zealand Food Safety provides the following pre-evaluated plans:
- Simply Safe & Suitable. Most food service businesses and food retailers can use the Simply Safe & Suitable template to meet requirements of the Food Act.
- Simply Safe & Suitable – for food service and food retail businesses [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Translations of Simply Safe & Suitable in traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese, Te Reo Māori, Korean, Thai, Hindi, Khmer/Cambodian, and Vietnamese
- Steps to a Simply Safe & Suitable Template Food Control Plan
- Template FCP
- Risk Management Programme
- Template FCP and Risk Management Programme
Food Safety Template for Cheesemakers [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Food Safety Template for Winemakers: This single plan for winemakers is intended to be a short, easy-to-use plan that covers all the food safety requirements for winemakers-
- make grape wine, fruit wine, cider or mead for local or export markets and make other food (including beer or spirits) and/or have cafe or restaurant,
- make grape wine, fruit wine, cider or mead for local or export markets and make other food (including beer or spirits) and/serve food made by others in a cellar-door tasting room or cafe,
- make grape wine, fruit wine, cider or mead for local or export markets.
Food Safety Template for Winemakers [PDF, 1.4 MB]
- There are also industry-developed template FCPs created by other organisations and approved by New Zealand Food Safety. Usually these are only available to their members, so you’ll need to get in touch with the organisation if you want to use their template. Industry-developed templates are available for:
- New Zealand Aged Care Association
- Care Association New Zealand
- Lone Star
- Baking Industry Association of New Zealand
- Bunnings Warehouse New Zealand
- Global Good Agricultural Practice (GLOBALG.A.P)
- New Zealand Good Agricultural Practice (NZGAP)
- British Retail Consortium (BRC) – for fresh produce only
Who to contact
If you have questions about FCPs, email firstname.lastname@example.org