Transporting animal products for export
Transport operators moving animal products for export that require an official assurance must operate under either a regulated control scheme or a risk management programme. Types of transport include road, rail, sea, and air. Find out about the requirements.
Options for transport operators
If animal products (like seafood, dairy, and meat products) are exported under an official assurance programme, the transport operator must work under either:
- a risk management programme (RMP), or
- a regulated control scheme (RCS).
Products covered under an RMP or RCS
All animal products are covered, including:
- shelf-stable products, such as canned products
- refrigerated, chilled, or frozen products
- rendered products, such as meat and bone meal, and tallow
- hides, skins, pigs ears and other animal materials (raw material or finished product) intended for use as rawhide pet chews
- liquid milk being transported from farms or for further processing.
Some exemptions apply
Some transport activities under the animal products act are exempt from the requirement for an RMP or RCS.
The following products are exempt, even when they are intended for human or animal consumption and for export with an official assurance:
- animal material being transported in New Zealand before primary processing – for example, the transport of livestock to slaughter premises
- raw material being transported to a rendering operation
- hide pieces sent to manufacture gelatine.
Some products that are not intended for human or animal consumption, but which are intended for export with an official assurance, are also exempt. These include:
- hides and skins
- meat and bone meal, and tallow.
Exporting to countries that don't need official assurance
If the animal product you handle is intended for export to markets that don't require official assurances, you only need to meet the requirements for operators transporting food for the New Zealand market. However, you can operate under either an RMP or the Transport RCS if you prefer.
Operating under a risk management programme
If you decide to operate under a risk management programme (RMP), you must register with MPI and meet requirements.
Operating under a regulated control scheme
A regulated control scheme (RCS) is an alternative to operating under a risk management programme. RCS only applies if you handle animal products for export which require an official assurance.
Who to contact
If you need to contact MPI about transporting animal products, email email@example.com