Verifying your wine standards management plan
A recognised person or agency must regularly check winemakers are following their Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP). This is called verification.
What is verification of Wine Standard Management Plans (WSMPs)?
Verification is the process of checking that winemaking businesses are complying with the requirements of the Wine Act 2003. Verifiers do this by assessing whether winemakers are following their registered Wine Standards Management Plans (WSMPs) and any applicable export requirements.
The purpose of verification is to:
- confirm that you are meeting the regulatory requirements relevant to your operations
- determine whether you will be able to meet these requirements in the period between the current and the next verification.
How often are WSMPs verified?
You must get your WSMP verified by an approved verifier within 6 months of registration, or before your first export (whichever is the soonest). MPI will set an anniversary date based upon your first verification. After that, you must schedule a verification every 23 months for domestic-only production or every 12 months to meet export requirements.
If you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
What verifiers do
Verification under the Wine Act is a systems-based verification. The focus of wine verification is on the integrity of the systems and processes, rather than on inspection. This means that the verifier examines your systems and processes to confirm that all wine you have made complies with requirements under the Wine Act.
Winemakers' responsibilities in verifying their WSMP
WSMPs must be verified by a person recognised under the Wine Act to perform verification activities and functions.
If you operate under a WSMP, you are responsible for:
- engaging a verifier before you register your WSMP
- giving your chosen verifier access to relevant information during the verification visit
- ensuring that verification of your WSMP occurs before the annual deadline.
Find out more about:
Find a recognised WSMP verifier
Verification can only be performed by a person who has been recognised under the Wine Act 2003. Verifiers must also be employed or engaged by an agency recognised under the Wine Act.
- List of persons recognised as Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) verifiers
- List of agencies recognised as Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) verifiers
Become a Wine Standards Management Plan (WSMP) verifier
Find out how to become a verifier (recognised person) and recognised agency, including the requirements under the Wine Act and how to apply: