Accounting for carbon in the ETS

Find out how to account for changes in the carbon stored in your forest. Learn about stock change and averaging accounting.

Overview of carbon accounting

If you own a forest that's registered in the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) you need to calculate and account for changes in its carbon storage. Carbon accounting works out how many units you should receive or will need to surrender.

Find out about carbon accounting

Stock change accounting

The stock change carbon accounting method accounts for short-term changes in your forest's carbon stock. Stock change accounting is used by existing post-1989 forests and forests in the permanent post-1989 activity.

Find out about stock change accounting

Averaging accounting

Averaging accounting looks at your forest's long-term carbon storage over several rotations of growth and harvest. New post-1989 forests can use averaging accounting. It will be mandatory from 1 January 2023.

Find out about averaging accounting

Last reviewed: