Importing stored plant products (grains, seeds, and nuts)
All food and food-related products for human consumption that are imported for sale must meet New Zealand standards and requirements. MPI's role is to help make sure imported plant-based food products are correctly labelled, safe to eat, and free from pests and harmful organisms.
- Register with NZ Customs
- Australia NZ Food Standards Code
- IHS: Stored Plant Products for Human Consumption SPP.HUMAN.IHS
- IHS Grains/Seeds for Consumption, Feed and Processing
- Application for Permit to Import for plant derived material, microorganisms associated with plants, soil or water
- Subscribe to notifications
'Food' includes ingredients and anything to be mixed or added to food. No food can be sold if it's unsafe, unfit for human consumption, or contaminated. Food importers have legal obligations under the:
- Biosecurity Act 1993
- Animal Products Act 1999
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines Act 1997
- Food Act 2014 and related legislation
- Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
Importers must also meet other New Zealand food standards, including the Importing Food Notice.
Who to contact
If you have questions about: