A list of requirements you need to meet when importing pets.
14 March 2018
The IHS and model veterinary certificates for cats and dogs have been urgently amended to include the following measure for canine influenza:
For at least 21 days prior to shipment:
- the cat or dog was not kept in a place where there were cats or dogs showing clinical signs of infectious respiratory disease; and
- the cat or dog showed no clinical signs of infectious respiratory disease.
If your vet cert does not yet include the canine influenza clause
If the veterinary certificate from the exporting country (where your cat or dog is being shipped from) does not yet include the canine influenza clause:
- complete the declaration form below before shipping your cat or dog
- send your completed form at least 72 hours prior to arrival in New Zealand to one of the email addresses below.
Download and complete this declaration [DOCX, 14 KB]
Where to email your declaration
For cats and dogs from Australia: email@example.com
For cats and dogs from all other approved countries:
- Cats and dogs - Import Health Standard Guidance Document [PDF, 664 KB]
keywords: catdog.gen, canines, felines, pets
keywords: chianiic.grb, live animals, pets
- Guinea Pigs to Australia - Sample Veterinary Certificate [PDF, 108 KB]
This IHS specifies the minimum requirements that must be met when importing guinea pigs (Cavia porcellus) into New Zealand from Australia.
Keywords: guineapg.aus, guinea pigs, Cavia Porcellus
keywords: rabdomic.aus, live animal, bunny
Important information for importers updated 20 October 2016
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback