A better Emissions Trading Scheme for forestry
24 June 2019 – Submissions released
We've released an analysis of the submissions received during this consultation.
- Submissions analysis [PDF, 1.4 MB]
A document with a summary of responses to the Ministry for the Environment (MfE) consultation is available on their website.
April 2019 – Cabinet papers: Improving the ETS for forestry participants Part 1 and Part 2
- Part 1: Key decisions for permanent forests and operational improvements [PDF, 2 MB]
- Appendix 2: Minor and technical operational changes [PDF, 324 KB]
- Part 2: Decisions for operational improvements and permanent forests [PDF, 1014 KB]
Note: This consultation was jointly run by the Ministry for the Environment and Te Uru Rākau (Forestry New Zealand, part of the Ministry for Primary Industries). Submissions closed on 21 September 2018.
The Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) is New Zealand's main tool for reducing greenhouse gas emissions. Te Uru Rākau (Forestry New Zealand) and the Ministry for the Environment sought feedback on improvements to the ETS.
There were 2 sets of proposed improvements.
- The first set proposed to strengthen the ETS so that it is a credible and well-functioning scheme that helps New Zealand meet its climate change targets.
- The second set of proposals was to help reduce complexity and other barriers to forest owners being part of the ETS.
A decision about whether agriculture will be included in the ETS wasn't part of the consultation. That decision will be made later.
The first set of proposals (to help meet climate change targets)
The second set of proposals (forest owners and the ETS)
- ETS forestry discussion document: A better Emissions Trading Scheme for forestry [PDF, 2.6 MB]
- Appendix 1: New Zealand’s international forestry and land use accounting under the UNFCCC, Kyoto Protocol and Paris Agreement [PDF, 280 KB]
- Appendix 2: Impact summary for the ETS forestry consultation 2018 [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Fact sheet 1: Proposals on accounting for new forests [PDF, 345 KB]
- Fact sheet 2: Proposals on accounting for existing forests [PDF, 438 KB]
- Fact sheet 3: Proposals on harvested wood products [PDF, 435 KB]
- Fact sheet 4: Proposals on permanent forests [PDF, 355 KB]
- Fact sheet 5: Proposals on operational changes [PDF, 363 KB]
- Fact sheet 6: Current state for forestry and the ETS [PDF, 512 KB]
Making your submission
Submissions on both sets of proposals closed with the Ministry for the Environment at 5pm on 21 September 2018.
Submissions are public information
Note, that any submission you make becomes public information. People can ask for copies of submissions under the Official Information Act 1982 (OIA). The OIA says we have to make submissions available unless we have a good reason for withholding it. That is explained in sections 6 and 9 of the OIA.
Tell us if you think there are grounds to withhold specific information in your submission. Reasons might include that it's commercially sensitive or it's personal information. However, any decision MPI makes to withhold information can be reviewed by the Ombudsman, who may tell us to release it.
We're making improvements to our feedback form and it's temporarily unavailable.
For urgent problems, call 0800 00 83 33 (NZ only)