Statistics New Zealand regularly collects agricultural, horticultural, and forestry data on behalf of MPI. Other organisations also produce occasional reports.
Agricultural production statistics
The Agricultural Production Survey is part of an on-going programme of agricultural production statistics conducted in partnership with Statistics New Zealand.
- Find data, reports, and articles about animal farming, crop growing, forestry, and farm practices.
- Find links to other information, reports, and surveys about agriculture, exports, business, and the economy.
- Annual data on livestock births and total populations by age and sex.
- Livestock slaughter statistics for sheep, cattle, goats, horses, and pigs, updated monthly.
- Historical annual data on livestock slaughter
- Pastoral monitoring data from 2012.
Live animal exports
Spreadsheets with statistics for the export of germplasm and live animals from 2011 to 2014.
- Live animal and germplasm export statistics 2014 [XLS, 2.2 MB]
- Live animal and germplasm export statistics 2013 [XLS, 2.1 MB]
- Live animal and germplasm export statistics 2012 [XLS, 1.4 MB]
- Live animal and germplasm export statistics 2011 [XLS, 1.4 MB]
A 2012 publication with facts and statistics about horticultural production and exports provided by Horticulture New Zealand and Plant & Food Research.
Statistics New Zealand tools
Infoshare is a tool that allows you to browse and search for a wide range of information. Agricultural statistics are found under the ‘Industry sectors’ section of the tool.
NZ.Stat is a free web tool, allowing you to create tables from large datasets, including those about agricultural production.