Conferences and events
Details of conferences and events run by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).
There are currently no upcoming events in the MPI calendar.
The summit’s themes were:
- ensure New Zealand’s world-class food safety system remains robust in responding to future challenges
- proactively support New Zealanders to feel confident making choices about food
- lead new thinking in international forums to expand our international influence
- be an intelligence-led business that strengthens this country’s food future.
More information, including the programme and speaker bios, is available on the New Zealand Food Safety Summit page
The lecture series topics were:
- food regulation now and in the future
- trust in the food safety system for different segments of society
- contamination, communication, and confidence
- food standards and their effects on international trade
- frameworks that support novel foods
- regaining consumer trust in a digital age.
Videos of the lectures, speaker presentations, transcripts, and speaker bios are available on the New Zealand Food Safety Lecture Series page
The event included a dinner and presentation of awards for forestry science, lifetime achievement, and commitment to the protection of forests, forest ecosystems, and the connection of forests to people.
More information, including the details of the award winners and a downloadable history of forestry in New Zealand, is available on the 100 Years of Forestry page
The 2019 event’s talks covered:
- the state of innovation
- setting the future
- 5G in New Zealand
- innovative hyperspectral remote sensing methods for pre-visual detection in the context of biosecurity.
More information, including the videos and slideshows, is available on the Biosecurity Innovation Exchange page
About the conference
- Venue: Beijing Friendship Hotel, Beijing, People's Republic of China
- Date: 3 to 5 May 2019
This symposium provided a platform for dairy experts from around the world to meet and collaborate on the advances in science and technology that affect dairy cow nutrition and milk quality. 2019 was the sixth year that the symposium was held. The 2 main focuses were:
- milk quality improvement
- innovation in relevant science and technology.
MPI was a co-organiser of the conference. Other New Zealand co-organisers were:
- Dairy Companies Association of New Zealand
- New Zealand Food Safety Science and Research Centre.
Overseas co-organisers include the Dairy Association of China and the American Dairy Science Association. The main organiser was the Institute of Animal Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
Find out more
- Institute of Animal Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences website
- Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (CAAS) website
The Taranaki Land Diversification Opportunities Symposium was held in Hawera on 27 August 2019. It was hosted by the Ministry for Primary Industries in partnership with Te Puni Kōkiri.
The symposium was open to all whanau, hapū, iwi, and anyone else interested in developing their whenua. Attendees heard about the journeys some Taranaki landowners have already undertaken. There were also presentations on the opportunities, advice, and funding available to help protect the land for future generations of mokopuna.
Presentations from guest speakers
- Food and Fibre value chain diversification – Justine Gilliland, Venture Taranaki [PDF, 4.4 MB]
- A way forward: Huakiwi Iwifruit – Ngai Tukairangi Trust [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- Plantation mānuka: an option for iwi? – Robert Tiopira, Mānuka Farming NZ Ltd [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Temanea & Takutaimoana Kauika-Stevens Whānau Trust [PDF, 2.6 MB]
About the forum
Biosecurity New Zealand and its forum partners, the Government Industry Agreement for Biosecurity Readiness and Response (GIA) and the Department of Conservation, held the Biosecurity New Zealand Forum in Auckland on 12 to 13 November 2018.
Exploring different approaches to biosecurity
The 2018 forum theme was 'Biosecurity: Partnering to Protect'. We explored the many different approaches to and motivations for biosecurity. We also heard from industry leaders on future global impacts.
On day 2 we launched the implementation plan for Biosecurity 2025 and took a deeper dive into the issues through a series of workshop sessions.
We also celebrated the finalists and award winners of the New Zealand Biosecurity Awards at a dinner on 12 November 2018.
Find out more
Events sponsored by MPI
MPI also often sponsors conferences and events organised by other groups and agencies.