Conferences and events
Details of conferences and events run by the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI).
Exporting 101 sessions
We’re running monthly Exporting 101 sessions for new or existing exporters who want a better understanding of MPI's requirements for exporting primary products from New Zealand.
Each webinar will take about 30 minutes, including time for questions and answers.
After each session, attendees will be able to reach out to the ERAS team for one-on-one advice.
Exporting to Australia: what you need to know and where to start – Wednesday 29 September 2021 at 1pm
Join us for the last of our 6-session webinar series, where you’ll learn about exporting primary products to Australia. Topics covered include:
- the shared rules between New Zealand and Australia and what this means for you
- where to find the rules for exporting to Australia
- labelling your product for Australia.
New Zealand Food Safety Lecture Series 2019
The New Zealand Food Safety Lecture Series 2019 featured experts speaking on food safety issues, with audience members having the chance to ask questions.
The lecture series topics were:
- food regulation now and in the future
- trust in the food safety system for different segments of society
- contamination, communication, and confidence
- food standards and their effects on international trade
- frameworks that support novel foods
- regaining consumer trust in a digital age.
Videos of the lectures, speaker presentations, transcripts, and speaker bios are available on the New Zealand Food Safety Lecture Series page
100 Years of Forestry
The 100 Years of Forestry event celebrated the 100-year anniversary of the New Zealand State Forest Service.
The event included a dinner and presentation of awards for forestry science, lifetime achievement, and commitment to the protection of forests, forest ecosystems, and the connection of forests to people.
More information, including the details of the award winners and a downloadable history of forestry in New Zealand, is available on the 100 Years of Forestry page
Biosecurity Innovation Exchange
The Biosecurity Innovation Exchange is designed to be a catalyst for collaboration between Australia and New Zealand. It brings together national agencies, research organisations, universities, and industry to discuss transformative ideas to meet the future challenges for biosecurity.
The 2019 event’s talks covered:
- the state of innovation
- setting the future
- 5G in New Zealand
- innovative hyperspectral remote sensing methods for pre-visual detection in the context of biosecurity.
More information, including the videos and slideshows, is available on the Biosecurity Innovation Exchange page
6th International Symposium on Dairy Cow Nutrition and Milk Quality (China)
The 6th International Symposium on Dairy Cow Nutrition and Milk Quality was held in Beijing from 3 to 5 May 2019.
About the conference
- Venue: Beijing Friendship Hotel, Beijing, People's Republic of China
- Date: 3 to 5 May 2019
This symposium provided a platform for dairy experts from around the world to meet and collaborate on the advances in science and technology that affect dairy cow nutrition and milk quality. 2019 was the sixth year that the symposium was held. The 2 main focuses were:
- milk quality improvement
- innovation in relevant science and technology.
MPI was a co-organiser of the conference. Other New Zealand co-organisers were:
- Dairy Companies Association of New Zealand
- New Zealand Food Safety Science and Research Centre.
Overseas co-organisers include the Dairy Association of China and the American Dairy Science Association. The main organiser was the Institute of Animal Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
Find out more
- Institute of Animal Sciences, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences website
- Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences (CAAS) website
Taranaki Land Diversification Opportunities Symposium
Symposium on protecting Taranaki land for future generations of mokopuna.
The Taranaki Land Diversification Opportunities Symposium was held in Hawera on 27 August 2019. It was hosted by the Ministry for Primary Industries in partnership with Te Puni Kōkiri.
The symposium was open to all whanau, hapū, iwi, and anyone else interested in developing their whenua. Attendees heard about the journeys some Taranaki landowners have already undertaken. There were also presentations on the opportunities, advice, and funding available to help protect the land for future generations of mokopuna.
Presentations from guest speakers
- Food and Fibre value chain diversification – Justine Gilliland, Venture Taranaki [PDF, 4.4 MB]
- A way forward: Huakiwi Iwifruit – Ngai Tukairangi Trust [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- Plantation mānuka: an option for iwi? – Robert Tiopira, Mānuka Farming NZ Ltd [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Temanea & Takutaimoana Kauika-Stevens Whānau Trust [PDF, 2.6 MB]
Biosecurity New Zealand Forum 2018
Biosecurity’s premier event was held in Auckland on 12 and 13 November 2018.
About the forum
Biosecurity New Zealand and its forum partners, the Government Industry Agreement for Biosecurity Readiness and Response (GIA) and the Department of Conservation, held the Biosecurity New Zealand Forum in Auckland on 12 to 13 November 2018.
Exploring different approaches to biosecurity
The 2018 forum theme was 'Biosecurity: Partnering to Protect'. We explored the many different approaches to and motivations for biosecurity. We also heard from industry leaders on future global impacts.
On day 2 we launched the implementation plan for Biosecurity 2025 and took a deeper dive into the issues through a series of workshop sessions.
We also celebrated the finalists and award winners of the New Zealand Biosecurity Awards at a dinner on 12 November 2018.
Find out more
Events sponsored by MPI
MPI also often sponsors conferences and events organised by other groups and agencies.