Using vertebrate toxic agents
Find out about best practices for using vertebrate toxic agents (VTAs) and how to deal with adverse events.
Best practice in the field
If you are using a VTA:
- always read and follow label directions carefully
- don't use it off-label
- place baits away from stock, wild game, and pets
- use bait stations if this is a label requirement
- meet conditions of registration for licences, notification, signage, and storage – if you don't, it's an offence
- comply with other relevant legislation, such as the:
ACVM standard for VTAs [PDF, 45 KB]
Definition of bait devices [PDF, 317 KB]
If something goes wrong
Let MPI know if an adverse event occurs after using a registered VTA or if you have an unexpected outcome (including it not working).