Steps to exporting rendered animal products

Exporters of rendered animal products must be registered, and follow animal product standards and other regulations, as well as meet the requirements of their destination country. We've created a step-by-step process so you can see what's involved – all in one place.

Expand All
What you need to know

An overview of exporting rendered animal products from start to finish.

Rendering is the breaking down of animal tissues using heat into the constituent fat and protein elements.

To export rendered animal products successfully you need to know about:

  • registering as an exporter with MPI
  • all the legislation relating to your type of business
  • all the requirements of your destination country
  • risk management programmes (RMPs)
  • registering for access to E-cert, MPI's online certification system, to apply for the required export certificates
  • fees and charges
  • export clearance requirements.

You may have to meet other requirements as well. These might be of a commercial nature, or requirements set by other government agencies like the New Zealand Customs Service. It will also pay to check with your importing agent in the destination country that you haven't overlooked any requirements.

What you need to do

The tasks you need to complete.

Register as an exporter or use the services of a registered exporter

If you're exporting commercially, you must register with MPI or use the services of a registered exporter. Exporter registration can be done online, or by completing a printed form.

If you have questions about registering as an exporter, email

Non-commercial exporters don't usually have to register

If the purpose of your export is non-commercial, you don't have to register as an exporter or use the services of a registered exporter unless requested by your shipper (airline or shipping company).

Comply with New Zealand legislation and food standards

You need to meet labelling requirements, and all relevant standards and regulations, including the:

Check the requirements of your destination country

As an exporter, you are responsible for knowing and meeting the Overseas Market Access Requirements (OMAR) for your destination country. OMARs differ for countries and products and set out requirements for all operators in your export chain, for example processors, storage providers, and transporters.

You need to apply to MPI to read OMARs because they're password protected.

Search for your OMAR

When you have your password, you'll be able to read the OMARs for your products.

Read the OMAR for your destination country thoroughly to make sure you can comply with all the requirements. 

If your export destination has an OMAR you'll likely need an 'official assurance', also known as an export certificate, before you can send your product. Official assurance is the New Zealand Government's assurance to the destination country that your product meets the standards set out in the OMAR.

More information

Other information you should check includes:

Guidance offered by FYIs can help you with exporting concerns or issues. (You may need your OMAR password to read some FYIs.)

OMAR notifications will give you the latest updates for your destination country.

You may also need to be 'listed'

Some countries require premises to be 'listed' before you can export your products. 'Listing' is a government to government approved procedure for ensuring market access requirements are met for a specific country and that products are being produced in premises or areas approved to export to that country. The country OMAR will tell you if you need to be listed, and the process to follow. You will need a fully operational risk management programme to be listed, and to work with your verifier to meet listing requirements.

Exporting to a country with no OMAR?

If there is no OMAR for your export destination, work directly with your importing agent to find out what certification you need and any other requirements. For the rendering of animal products, including fish and the dried blood production of birds and mammals, you must operate under an RMP regardless.

Note that if there's no OMAR, it could mean your product is prohibited to be sent to the destination country.

Operate under a risk management programme (RMP) if you need official assurance

To get an official assurance for a rendered animal product, the product must be produced and processed under a registered and verified Risk Management Programme (RMP). Other suppliers in your export chain, for example, storage facilities, processors, and transporters, also need to operate under an approved programme. Information in the RMP will form part of your application for official assurance.

RMPs help you manage hazards, ensure your rendered product is fit for purpose, and meets legal requirements. If at any point the rendered product is processed outside of an approved RMP, you can't get an official assurance and your rendered product will lose export eligibility.

You can also prepare a successful RMP by using one of the Codes of Practice (COP) that has been developed by MPI in consultation with the rendering industry.

After developing your programme, you must register it, and get it verified each year.

Ensure storage requirements are met

Stand-alone operators who store rendered product before it is exported must meet specific requirements depending on the market.

Ensure transport requirements are met

Use a recognised verifier to do verification

MPI Verification Services undertakes verification of operators. You need to work with them to ensure your rendering complies with all requirements, and that you're following your RMP.

Apply for access to E-cert

Export applications are handled online through E-cert, a web application MPI uses to issue government assurances and approve consignments for export. You must register before you can use the system.

E-cert tracks products from the time they’re produced until they're exported.

E-cert is password protected. New exporters need to apply for access.

Download and complete the form to register for access to E-cert

Registration should be complete within a week, provided all supplied information is correct and payments completed. If you have any questions about registration, email

Request an export certificate through E-cert

Once you are a registered user of E-cert, you can access the password-protected website, and apply for a consignment's 'official assurance' or export certificate.

The information you enter about your rendered animal products and the declarations you make confirm that your product complies with requirements.

If you're exporting another manufacturer's products, you may need their help to complete E-cert applications.

Find out what security devices you need for your products

Meat products must be packed and labelled to ensure they're secure and that the contents can be traced to the official assurances (export certificates) that apply to them. Security devices help to protect the integrity of the products, and have to be approved by MPI.

Are you using wood packaging?

If you use wood packaging products, other than paper, for your export product, check your wood packaging meets the phytosanitary requirements of the destination country. Some countries may require you to treat your wood packaging to make sure it's free of pests and diseases.  

Getting your export documentation

How you know you've met MPI requirements.

When MPI is satisfied your rendering products comply with all requirements and standards throughout the process, we issue the official assurance (export certificate) through E-cert.

There are various ways the official assurance can be provided for your consignment. Check the OMAR of your destination country and the official assurances programme.

Read the Animal Product Official Assurances Specifications [PDF, 676 KB]

When to alert MPI

As an exporter you're responsible for telling MPI within 24 hours if your rendered animal product for export:

  • becomes unfit for intended purpose
  • is refused entry by a foreign government
  • fails to meet relevant Overseas Market Access Requirements (OMARs)
  • doesn't have the required export documents – for example, if they are removed or lost. 

Contact MPI if your products don't conform to our export requirements. You can either use the export non-conformance report to alert MPI about any problems, or use your own form – as long as your notification contains all the necessary information.

Download the export non-conformance report [PDF, 124 KB]

Who to contact

If you have questions, email

Last reviewed: