- COVID-19 and Forestry
- Emissions Trading Scheme
- Indigenous forestry
- Increasing the use of wood in the market place
- Industry organisations
- One Billion Trees
- Pests and diseases
- Forestry ETS Alert (Sustainable Forestry Bulletin)
Guidance including fact sheets, forms and policies relating to the Emissions Trading Scheme:
- Wood use in multi-storey construction - Survey summary [PDF, 258 KB]
- Wood use in multi-storey construction - Survey report [PDF, 1.2 MB]
- Indigenous forestry newsletters
- Indigenous forestry on private land: Present trends and future potential [PDF, 80 KB]
- Indigenous Forestry on Private Land: Present Trends and Future Potential – An Update [PDF, 580 KB]
- Indigenous Forestry on Private Land: Sustainable indigenous forest management in accordance with Part 3A of the Forests Act 1949 [PDF, 15 MB]
- Indigenous forestry standards and guidelines [PDF, 3 MB]
- Indicative value of New Zealand's privately owned indigenous forests – report [PDF, 661 KB]
- Transitioning exotic plantations to native forest: A report on the state of knowledge 2021-22 [PDF, 10 MB]
- Review of actual forest restoration costs: Contract Report Prepared for Te Uru Rākau - New Zealand Forest Service, November 2021 [PDF, 3.6 MB]
Measuring trees and logs
- Estimation of standing volume for indigenous tree species [XLS, 331 KB]
- Measuring indigenous trees and logs – A field guide [PDF, 8.7 MB]
- A guide to preparing sustainable forest management plans, permit applications and annual logging plan [PDF, 7.3 MB]
- Regional maps of registered SFM plans & permits [PDF, 4.2 MB]
- Registered SFM plans & permits [PDF, 906 KB]
Production and trade data sets
- New Zealand’s forests – Yield, log types and land used
- Wood processing – Production and stock information
- Wood product markets – Volume and value of exports
- New Zealand's forests – Planted production forests statistics
- New Zealand Forest Owners Association
- New Zealand Institute of Forestry
- New Zealand Farm Forestry
- Forest & Bird
- Forest Industry Safety Council
- Safetree: injury prevention for New Zealand's forestry sector
- Guide sheet 3: One Billion Trees Fund Direct Grants - Land preparation and planting information [PDF, 5.7 MB]
- Guide sheet 4: One Billion Trees Fund Direct Grants - Planting and management plans [PDF, 5.7 MB]
- Guide sheet 5: One Billion Trees Fund Direct Grants - Milestones and payments [PDF, 5.7 MB]
Planting and management plans
- Reversion planting [DOCX, 44 KB]
- Native planting [DOCX, 57 KB]
- Manuka/kanuka planting [DOCX, 51 KB]
- Exotic planting [DOCX, 51 KB]
- Forest health, pests and diseases hub – NZ Farm Forestry Organisation
- New Zealand Plants database – Landcare Research
- PaDIL: Biosecurity and biodiversity image library (Australian Government website)
- Plant-SyNZ (a herbivore biodiversity assessment tool) – Landcare Research
- What is this bug – Landcare Research
- November 2019: TS forestry regulations open for consultation
The Forestry ETS Alert email newsletter keeps you up to date with news about forestry in the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS). This newsletter replaced the Sustainable forestry bulletin.
- 18 July 2022
Have your say on amendments to the draft Forestry Regulations; More information about averaging accounting; What constitutes a ‘first rotation’ forest under averaging accounting – deforestation, replanting and key dates; FMA guide updated
- 2 June 2022
Information about processing post-1989 registration applications; further streamlining of applications process; information about infringement offences published
- 12 April 2022
Faster processing to address increasing volume of applications; incorrect forest establishment year can cause issues later
- 18 March 2022
Important notice about processing applications; Consultation on possible changes to forestry in the ETS
- 4 February 2022
Fixed price option for post-1989 forests; submitting FMA data; uploading large files; pre-1990 deforestation emissions returns due 31 March; voluntary emissions returns for post-1989 participants.
- 17 December 2021
Pre-1990 deforestation emissions returns; voluntary emissions returns for post-1989 participants.
- 13 December 2021
Preliminary assessments for applications to register post-1989 forest land to cease.
- 7 December 2021
Infringement offences; information to support forestry ETS applicants; and new exemption from deforestation liabilities.
- 28 October 2021
Participant details for emissions and removals to be published.
- 12 October 2021
Average ages and basic rules for averaging accounting now available.
- 4 October 2021
Policy on penalties now available; changes to participant succession for transmissions of interest in post-1989 forest land; ETS intentions survey findings; publication of report on transitioning exotic plantations to native forest.
- 26 July 2021
Registering post-1989 forest land in the Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS).
- 9 July 2021
NZ ETS low-level infringement offences.
- 26 May 2021
Minor updates to FMA regulations and advisory on processing of amendments of incorrect emissions returns.
- 24 March 2021
ETS Forestry Regulations consultation update.
- 17 March 2021
Changes to transmissions of interest for Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS) participants; new guidance available on supplying information to support your post-1989 registration application; cheques removed as payment option for all ETS applications.
- 1 March 2021
Have your say on the NZ ETS Forestry Regulations.
- 12 January 2021
New process and penalties for the Emissions Trading Scheme.
Careers in forestry
The Forestry Careers website has information to help you get started in the industry.