About the Māori Agribusiness Innovation Fund
The Innovation Fund has been created to back Māori to realise opportunities within the Māori primary sector economy.
The fund will support the development of innovative practices and products to create improved outcomes and benefits for Māori.
Applications can cover the entire primary sector value chain from production, to processing and export. The fund will consider initiatives involving horticulture, aquaculture, agriculture, and forestry.
How to apply for funding
To be eligible, applicants must be:
- a legal entity and GST registered
- at least 51% Māori-owned and able to demonstrate key decisions are made by Māori
- seeking funding for a primary sector-related project
- able to provide in-kind co-investment.
Māori Agribusiness Innovation Fund – Applicant guidelines [PDF, 261 KB]
What funding can be used for
The maximum amount of funding a project can receive is $250,000. The fund is open year-round, subject to availability.
Funding can be used to:
- investigate or demonstrate a concept
- access expert advice to explore an innovation project
- develop and evaluate an innovative idea or practice.
The Innovation Fund is flexible regarding what funding can be used for. If you have any questions, contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
How applications will be assessed
Applications will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Ngā hua pūtea – economic benefits
- Ngā hua hapori – community/social benefits
- Ngā hua tikanga – cultural benefits
- Ngā hua taiao – environmental benefits
- Mana motuhake – how will this project enable the applicant to reach aspirations for its primary sector assets?
- Innovation – how will this project support the production or adoption of new products and/or practices?
- How well placed is the applicant to deliver the project?
- Does the project fit with existing industry and/or government strategies?
Who to contact
If you believe you meet the fund’s eligibility and assessment criteria, contact your local Māori Agribusiness adviser or email us at email@example.com