What our fees cover
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) calculates fees on a cost-recovery basis.
Activities and services we charge for include:
- import permits
- border clearance inspections.
Note, not all the fees on this page may apply to you and there could be other charges not listed here – like transport, storage, treatment, or laboratory costs.
Some honey or bee products need a permit before they can be imported into New Zealand. The import health standard (IHS) for your product will tell you if this permit is needed.
|Fee type||Fee (excl GST)||Fee (incl GST)|
|Application for permit to import animal products, including honey and bee products||$233.25*||$268.24*|
* If processing your application takes longer than one-and-a-half hours, additional time will be charged at an hourly rate of $155.50 excluding GST or $178.83 including GST.
Border clearance charges
MPI may charge you for costs related to inspecting your honey and bee products when they arrive in New Zealand.
You may also be charged extra fees if MPI's biosecurity inspector has to:
- travel to inspect your goods
- wait before inspection can start
- be called out after hours.