- an annual gross income of around $6.6 billion
- 1.6% of New Zealand's GDP (Gross Domestic Product)
- to the employment of between 35,000 and 40,000 people in wood production, processing, and the commercial sector.
Forestry and wood products are New Zealand's fourth-largest export earner, just behind horticulture.
New Zealand is a small player in the international forestry industry, contributing only 1.1% of the world's total supply of industrial wood and 1.3% of the world's trade in forest products.
An estimated 34.38 million cubic metres of timber was harvested in the year ended March 2021. Volumes are expected to be high for the next decade (to 2030) as forests planted in recent decades reach maturity.
The export value of forest products in the year to June 2022 was $6.58 billion – $3.63 billion from logs and $2.95 billion from other forest products.
Forestry and wood processing supply chain diagram
We've created a diagram of the supply chain. It gives a view of the relationships between forestry and wood product suppliers, inputs, processes, outputs, and customers. We published it in December 2022.
If you have questions or feedback about the diagram, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Forestry data on Canopy
More forestry data is on the Canopy website. Find tables and reports of the data below, plus these interactive visualisations:
- Total harvesting in hectares, by species
- Forest distribution by region
- Age class distribution by wood supply region
Statistics and data about forestry in New Zealand
Find surveys, statistics and reports compiled from MPI, Statistics New Zealand and other sources on many aspecs of the forest industry.
New Zealand forest data
Forest surveys, statistics and reports on:
- deforestation surveys
- forest land under the Emissions Trading Scheme
- National Exotic Forest Description reports and yield tables
- stock sales from commercial forestry nurseries
- wood availability forecasts.
Wood processing data
Survey statistics from wood processors around New Zealand, compiled with export data sources from Statistics New Zealand. Covers:
- log and roundwood removal
- sawn timber
- pulp, paper, and paperboard
- quarterly production, stock and roundwood removals.
Wood product markets data
Data on forestry imports and exports and indicative log prices. Includes latest indicative New Zealand radiata pine log prices.
If you have questions about forestry statistics or would like to get them in a CSV format, email email@example.com