Updated fees & charges
MPI recovers the cost for providing our services from individuals and industry. Most of these fees are set out in legal regulations.
Why we charge
MPI provides a range of important biosecurity and food safety services, which are critical to the operation and viability of New Zealand's primary industries, and to ensure the safety of consumers of New Zealand products, both at home and abroad. These services include:
- biosecurity inspections to prevent pests entering the country
- developing and maintaining domestic and overseas standards for food and other products
- monitoring and testing products to ensure consumer safety
- gaining market access and providing assurances to overseas customers.
To continue to provide these services and to ensure the quality of our systems, we recover the majority of costs for our services from industry and individuals. We're also required by law to recover costs from those who most directly benefit from these services. Collecting these fees means MPI can continue to play its integral role in the growth of our $37.4 billion primary sector export industry. MPI ensures New Zealanders and overseas consumers can trust New Zealand products to be safe and to meet standards.
MPI's completed its annual cost recovery process for the fishing industry. The new levies are in effect from 1 October 2015. You can read our advice to the Minister for Primary Industries on the Fish website.
Download the latest levies [XLS, 71 KB]
Changes from 1 July 2015
In February 2015, MPI consulted widely about our charges. We incorporated much of the feedback from people we consulted and announced the new fees regime in March 2015. The new fees came into effect on 1 July 2015.
What you'll be charged
During the transition, the rates we charge you will depend on when your application or work begins.
- If you have work with MPI that started before 1 July 2015, this will continue to be charged at the old rates until the work is complete.
- Any work or applications received and accepted by MPI (and the applications are assessed as complete) before 1 July 2015 will be charged at old rates until the work is complete.
- All work and applications received and accepted by MPI on or after 1 July 2015 will be charged at the new rates.
If you have questions about how these changes apply to you:
- email firstname.lastname@example.org
- call 0800 00 83 33.
What you'll pay
If you're an importer or exporter, you can find fees information tailored to your product in our information for:
We're changing the way we provide information online as part of our website redevelopment. While we've identified many of MPI's charges for importing and exporting some goods, we've yet to do the same for other activities – like growing and processing. More comprehensive fees information won't be available online until we've finished building this new website.
In the meantime, depending on what you're growing or processing – you will need to check the schedule in the regulations. You might need to check more than one schedule to find all the costs related to your product.
Check the new regulations
You can view the regulations on the NZ Legislation website:
- Agricultural Compounds and Veterinary Medicines (Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2015
- Animal Products (Dairy Industry Fees, Charges, and Levies) Regulations 2015
- Animal Products (Fees, Charges, and Levies) Amendment Regulations 2015 (these amend 2007 regulations)
- Animal Welfare (Cost Recovery) Regulations 2015
- Biosecurity (Costs) Amendment Regulations 2015 (these amend the 2010 regulations)
- Biosecurity (System Entry Levy) Amendment Order 2015 (these amend the 2010 order)
- Wine Amendment Regulations 2015 (these amend Wine Regulations 2006)
- Food (Fees and Charges) Regulations 2015 (come into effect 1 March 2016)
Note: These regulations do not list all MPI's charges. There are other fees set under other Acts (like the Fisheries Act) and there are other charges that are not set by regulation (like some laboratory fees).
Find out more
Who to contact
If you have any questions about MPI's fees and charges, email email@example.com.