When you need an RMP
You must operate under a registered RMP if you export to countries that require official assurances and you are:
- a secondary processor – someone who extracts, processes, packs, or stores bee products
- an operator who stores bulk bee products for export.
You don’t need an RMP if you're:
Creating your RMP
There are 2 ways to create your RMP:
- Use the Bee Products RMP template.
- Write your own, using the Bee Products Operational Code and the RMP Manual.
Using the Bee Products RMP template is the simplest and cheapest way to create your RMP.
Existing food safety programmes can be converted to RMPs
If you're already operating under an approved food safety programme you can also use it as the basis for an RMP.
Evaluation, if needed
If you don’t use an RMP template, you will need to employ an independent evaluator who has been recognised by MPI to evaluate your RMP.
Get your RMP verified
All bee products RMPs must be verified at least once a year. This must be done by a recognised agency – MPI Verification Services or AsureQuality. The verifier will confirm in writing that they are willing to verify your RMP each year, and you need to include this confirmation with your application to register your RMP with MPI.
- Animal products recognised agencies – including dairy
- Read about apiculture verification and certification services on the AsureQuality website
Register your RMP
Once you have gone through the steps to develop your RMP (and, where necessary, had it evaluated) you need to register it with MPI. Your RMP must be registered with MPI before you can start operating.
Storing honey for export
If you're a beekeeper who intends storing honey before it is exported under an official assurance, you must:
- operate under a registered RMP
- have the honey extracted by a contractor who operates under a registered RMP
- comply with the Tutin Standard
- understand general requirements for export and overseas market access requirements
- pay relevant fees and charges.
Your RMP must also comply with the requirements for storage. An RMP template for the storage of honey is available to help you prepare your plan.
Who to contact
If you have questions about exporting honey and bee products, email firstname.lastname@example.org