Find data on the pastoral, horticulture, arable, and apiculture (honey) sectors.
Situation and outlook for primary industries (SOPI) data
Get historical and forecast export volumes, prices, and revenue for the primary industries – the data we use in our quarterly SOPI reports.
Actual and provisional data from 2004 to 2018 is sourced from StatsNZ. Forecast data from 2019 to 2023 is from MPI's Economic Intelligence Unit (EIU).
Livestock slaughter statistics
Monthly livestock slaughter statistics for sheep, cattle, goats, horses and pigs for New Zealand.
Note: livestock slaughter numbers for dairy and beef cattle from October 2017 to June 2018 have been amended due to a technical issue.
- Livestock slaughter statistics for sheep, cattle, goats, horses and pigs – 30 November 2018 [XLSX, 351 KB]
You can access historical time series data on the StatsNZ Infoshare website – in the subject category select 'Industry sectors' then 'Livestock slaughtering – LSS'.
Data sets of land used for forestry, yield, log types, and deforestation area.
Data sets showing the volume and value of forestry imports and exports, and indicative radiata pine log prices.
Data on other websites
Agriculture production statistics
Find statistics on:
- animal farming, including sheep, beef and dairy cattle, and deer
- crop growing, including grain and seed crops, fruit and vegetables, wine grapes and nursery plants
- forestry and farm practices, including irrigation and fertiliser use.
Data is from a census of all farmers and foresters every 5 years, and sample surveys for the years in between. The programme is fully-funded by MPI and administered by StatsNZ. Provisional results are released by Stats NZ in mid-December each year and final results in mid-May the following year.
- Latest agriculture production statistics – Stats NZ website
- Historical agricultural production statistics – Stats NZ website
- Results are also available through Infoshare – Stats NZ website
Horticulture New Zealand and Plant & Food Research produce an annual publication with facts and statistics about horticultural production and exports.
Stats NZ data tools
Use free web tools to examine historic data sets kept on Stats NZ's website, including:
Has this been useful? Give us your feedback