2022 Postgraduate science scholarships timeline
- 2 February: Applications opened.
- 11 March: Applications closed.
- Late March: Interviews with short-listed candidates.
- July: Successful candidates will be announced.
The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) awards scholarships for master’s and PhD candidates. The scholarships promote research that will advance the primary industries and highlight the diverse range of science-based career opportunities across the sector.
The scholarships provide financial support for PhD and master’s candidates doing primary industry research.
Each scholarship is worth up to:
- $50,000 for PhD students
- $12,000 for master’s students.
Along with the funding to help them complete their research, each scholarship winner will also benefit from mentoring from MPI scientists, and professional development to help them fast-track their career in the primary industries.
These scholarships help MPI build capability for the primary industries, particularly where there are skills and science gaps.
New Zealand's primary industries offer diverse and exciting career opportunities. You can help:
- feed the world
- build a sustainable future
- find solutions to some of the world's most pressing problems like biosecurity risks, animal welfare, and climate change.
Who is eligible for a scholarship?
- propose research that is relevant and meets a priority need for MPI or the primary industries. The application form shows specific areas
- be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- be enrolled or intending to enrol for a master's or PhD at a New Zealand tertiary education institution
- have a supervisor who holds a position at a New Zealand tertiary education institution.